CBD SBIR PHASE II PROPOSAL SUBMISSION
WHO CAN SUBMIT A PHASE II PROPOSAL?
A Phase II proposal may only be submitted by Phase I awardees, and only if the following guidelines are met:
1. Small businesses receiving a CBD-funded SBIR Phase I contract must submit a formal proposal (instructions provided below) to qualify for a Phase II SBIR contract award
2. Phase I final reports are required prior to award of a Phase II contract (see the Announcement for report submittal instructions)
3. The CBD SBIR program does not accept unsolicited proposals
4. The CBD SBIR program does not accept classified proposals
5. A Phase II proposal may only be submitted one time for evaluation and consideration of award
WHEN SHOULD THE SMALL BUSINESS CONSIDER SUBMITTING A PHASE II PROPOSAL?
It is strongly encouraged that the small business consider deferring the submission of a Phase II proposal until at least five months following the start date of Phase I contract Period of Performance. This is to ensure the Phase I proof-of-concept/feasibility study has generated sufficient information and data to permit proper evaluation and assessment of the technology for consideration of Phase II funding.
CBD SBIR Program Management Office (PMO) suggests allowing no less than 30 days to prepare and submit a Phase II proposal.
WHAT IS THE CBD SBIR SCHEDULE FOR REVIEWING SUBMITTED PHASE II PROPOSALS?
In an effort to streamline the evaluation process, the CBD SBIR Program will begin evaluation of Phase II proposals only on specified dates. Refer to the schedule below to determine when to submit your Phase II proposal.
The CBD SBIR Phase II schedule is developed at the discretion of the CBD SBIR PMO; however, the Phase II proposal submission site will allow proposal submissions to occur at any time. The Phase II proposal submission site will not 'lock down'. As such, it is up to the offeror to comply with the CBD SBIR schedule.
WHERE DOES THE SMALL BUSINESS SUBMIT A PHASE II PROPOSAL?
The entire proposal (Proposal Cover Sheet, Technical Volume, Cost Volume and Company Commercialization Report, CCR) must be submitted using the online submission system at: https://sbir.defensebusiness.org. Do not send a hardcopy of the proposal. Hand or electronic signature on the proposal is NOT required. The small business is responsible for performing a virus check on each proposal before it is uploaded electronically. The detection of a virus on any submission may be cause for the rejection of the proposal. The submission site does not limit the overall file size for each electronic proposal submission. However, file uploads may take significant time depending on the internet provider's connection speed and the size of the file. If you experience problems uploading a proposal, call the DoD SBIR Help Desk (toll free) M-F between 9:00 am - 6:00 pm ET at 1-800-348-0787 or email firstname.lastname@example.org anytime. You can also visit the FAQs sections to learn more at https://sbir.defensebusiness.org/faqs. The CBD SBIR program WILL NOT accept any proposals that are not submitted through the on-line submission site.
WHAT IS THE ACCEPTABLE FORMAT OF A PHASE II PROPOSAL?
Phase II proposers must submit a concise, informative, and complete research and development proposal. The Proposal Technical Volume, and any enclosures or attachments, must be 50-pages or less in length. The Cover Sheet, Cost Volume and Company Commercialization Report do not count against the 50-page Proposal Technical Volume page limit. All documentation uploaded should have no smaller than 10-size font (to include tables and legends) on a standard 8 1/2" X 11" paper with 1" margins. Be certain to review the DoD SBIR Announcement for detailed information and instructions.
Note that a database containing all DoD STTR and SBIR abstracts and award data is located at the U.S. SBA website, http://www.sbir.gov
The DoD SBIR/STTR Proposal Submission website at https://sbir.defensebusiness.org provides information that may help as you prepare the Phase II proposal. Because abstracts of selected proposals are posted on the DoD SBIR/STTR website, the abstract must not contain any company proprietary information. Inclusion of classified information is not permitted.
1. Proposal Cover Sheet. As instructed on the DoD SBIR/STTR Proposal Submission website, prepare a Proposal Cover Sheet, including a brief description of the problem or opportunity, objectives, effort and anticipated results. Expected benefits and Government or private sector applications of the proposed research should also be summarized in the space provided.
2. Technical Volume. Create a single file and place your firm name, topic number, and proposal number in the header of each page. You cannot upload the Technical Volume to the DoD Submission site until you have created a Proposal Cover Sheet and been assigned a proposal number. The Technical Volume must be in Portable Document Format (PDF) for evaluation purposes. The Technical Volume should be submitted in PDF and will be posted as soon as a virus scan of the file is complete (generally in 15 minutes depending on file size). Other acceptable formats (PC/Windows) are: Text, Rich Text Format (RTF), MS Word; however, these will be scanned and converted to PDF before being posted. File conversion usually takes an hour; however, longer times should be expected during peak traffic periods. The DoD SBIR program is not responsible for any format differences between the original file and the converted file. It is recommended that you convert your file to PDF (using Adobe Acrobat or one of the other many commercial and shareware PDF conversion tools/writers) before uploading. Several internet sites, including www.adobe.com, offer on-line conversion services.
3. Cost Volume ($1,000,000 maximum). A firm fixed price or cost plus fixed fee Phase II Cost Volume must be submitted in detail online.4. Company Commercialization Report. The Company Commercialization Report (CCR) must be included with each proposal submitted to the CBD SBIR program. Refer to Sections 5.4(e) of the DoD SBIR Announcement for detailed instructions on the Company Commercialization Report. If commercialization information has not been updated in the past year, or you need to review a copy of the report, visit the DoD SBIR Proposal Submission site at https://sbir.defensebusiness.org. Note that improper handling of the CCR may result in the proposal being substantially delayed and that information provided may have a direct impact on the evaluation of the proposal. The CCR does not count toward the 50-page Phase II proposal limitation.
CBD SBIR PROPOSAL PREPARATION TIPS
Those responding to the CBD SBIR program should note the proposal preparation tips listed below:
- Read and follow all instructions contained in the Announcement.
- Register your firm on the secure, password protected DoD Submission website and, as instructed on the website, prepare your proposal. A complete proposal consists of the Proposal Cover Sheet, Technical Volume, Cost Volume, and Company Commercialization Report.
- The Phase II proposal cost is a maximum $1,000,000 and the cost on the Proposal Cover Sheet must match the cost on the Cost Volume.
- The Project Abstract and other content provided on the Proposal Cover Sheet must contain NO proprietary information. Mark proprietary information within the technical proposal as instructed in Section 5.4(a) of the Announcement.
- The content in the Technical Volume, including the option (if applicable), includes the items in Sections 5.4(b) and 5.4(c) of the Announcement.
- The header on each page of the Technical Volume should contain your company name, topic number, and proposal number (The header may be included in the one-inch margins).
- The CCR is submitted online in accordance with Section 5.4(e) of the Announcement. This report is required even if the firm has not received prior SBIR funding.
- Limit your proposal to 50 pages (excluding Cover Pages, Cost Volume and Company Commercialization Report).
- Use a type size no smaller than a 10-point font.
- The Technical Volume shall not be in 2-column format.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Ensure that you submit your proposal only to the DoD component of "CBD".
WHAT IS THE CBD SBIR FY16 PHASE II SCHEDULE?
FY16 CBD SBIR Phase II Cycle 'a': The deadline to submit a Phase II proposal to FY16 CBD SBIR Phase II Cycle 'a' is 6 a.m. Eastern Time on 7 April 2016.
FY16 CBD SBIR Phase II Cycle 'b': The deadline to submit a Phase II proposal to FY16 CBD SBIR Phase II Cycle 'b' is 6 a.m. Eastern Time on 30 June 2016.
FY16 CBD SBIR Phase II Cycle 'c': The deadline to submit a Phase II proposal to FY16 CBD SBIR Phase II Cycle 'c' is 6 a.m. Eastern Time on 31 August 2016.
FY16 CBD SBIR Phase II Cycle 'd': The deadline to submit a Phase II proposal to FY16 CBD SBIR Phase II Cycle 'd' is 6 a.m. Eastern Time on 17 November 2016.